Showin' some West Coast Love!
Tupac Amaru Shakur, the West Coast's well-known rapper, songwriter, producer and bad boy was known by stage names 2Pac and Makaveli. Although he died at age 25 in Las Vegas, he continues to be one of the world's best-selling artists. Shaping the way for edgy rap music, Tupac was always at the forefront of controversy in the East Coast - West Coast rivalry, and never afraid to show some "California Love".
- 1971 - Born in East Harlem, New York
- 1986 - Moves with his family to Baltimore, where he studies ballet and acting
- 1988 - Moves again with family to Marin City, California
- 1990 - Joins group Digital Underground
- 1993 - Releases hit album and goes Platinum
- Co-stars with Janet Jackson in the film "Poetic Justice"
- 1994 - Shot and robbed in NYC, escalating the East Coast - West Coast feud
- 1995 - Released from prison
- Releases rap's first double record All Eyez on Me, his Death Row Records debut
- Releases hit single California Love, produced by Dr. Dre
- 1996 - Shot on the Las Vegas strip, and dies 6 days later