Wave the checkered flag in Victory Lane with Dale!
Dale was an American race car driver in the N.A.S.C.A.R. series. He won seventy-six races (including his only Daytona 500 victory in 1998), and his seven championships are tied for most all-time with Richard Petty. His highly aggressive driving style made him a fan favorite and earned him the nicknames "Ironhead", "Mr. Restrictor Plate", "The Man in Black" and most famously, "The Intimidator."
- April 29, 1951: Born in Kannapolis N.C.
- 1968: Married his first wife at age 17
- 1975: Began his racing career
- 1979: Won the Rookie of the Year in N.A.S.C.A.R.
- 1980: Only driver ever to win the championship after winning the Rookie of the Year the year before
- 1998: Won the Daytona 500 after 20 years of trying
- 2001: Died in a crash on the last lap of the Daytona 500