Meet the ultimate blond bombshell
Marilyn was an American actress, singer and film producer. She won a Golden Globe Award, and in 1999 was ranked as the sixth greatest female star of all time by the American Film Institute. After spending much of her childhood in foster homes, Norma Jeane Baker began a career as a model, which led to a film contract in 1946. Her early roles were minor, but her performances in The Asphalt Jungle and All About Eve were well received. As her career progressed she became known as a sex symbol. She was praised for her comedic ability and became one of Hollywood's most popular performers.
The final years of Monroe's life were marked by illness, personal problems and a reputation for being unreliable and difficult to work with.
Her reputation and status have grown since her death, and today Marilyn Monroe is considered to be an iconic performer and one of the most significant cultural figures of her time
- June 1, 1926: Norma Jeane Mortenson was born
- 1950: The Asphalt Jungle
- 1953: Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, How to Marry a Millionaire
- 1954: There's No Business Like Show Business. Married and divorced Joe DiMaggio
- 1955: The Seven Year Itch
- 1956: Marries Arthur Miller
- 1960: Won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress - Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
for Some Like It Hot
- 1961: Divorces Arthur Miller
- 1962: Monroe made her last significant public appearance, singing "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" at a televised birthday party for President John F. Kennedy at Madison Square Garden. Died on August 5, 1962.