Madame Tussauds is established on Baker Street
1802: Madame Tussaud takes her exhibition on tour to the British Isles, leaving behind her husband.
1835: With her sons, Madame Tussaud establishes a base in London at ‘The Baker Street Bazaar.’
1846: Punch Magazine coins the name Chamber Of Horrors for Madame Tussaud’s ‘Separate Room’, where gruesome relics of the French Revolution are displayed.
1850: Madame Tussaud dies.
1884: Marie’s grandsons move the attraction to its current site on Marylebone Road
1925: The attraction is devastated by fire.
1928: Restoration is completed with the addition of a cinema and restaurant.
1940: Madame Tussauds is struck by a German World War II bomb destroying 352 head moulds, and the cinema.
1958: Madame Tussauds opens the Commonwealth’s first Planetarium.
1990-1993: The attraction undergoes extensive refurbishment, with the inclusion of new interactive, themed areas.
1993: The Spirit Of London, a spectacular animatronic ride, arrives at Madame Tussauds. The London Planetarium is re-opened after a £4.5 million re-development, including the installation of the world’s first Digistar II star projector.
1995: A new star show ‘Planetary Quest’ opens at Tussauds’ Planetarium. Later, the Planetarium dome is transformed into the biggest red nose in the universe for Comic Relief.
1996: Madame Tussauds opens a special display in conjunction with Time Magazine, portraying some of the publication’s nominated Top 100 people of the 20th century.
1997: Madame Tussauds opens a special exhibition of wedding dresses made for its Diana, Princess Of Wales, Sarah, Duchess Of York and Sophie, Countess Of Wessex.
1999: Major new star show ‘Wonders Of The Universe’ opens at The London Planetarium
Find out how Madame Tussauds is evolving in the New Millenium