Do you like "Ike"?
Dwight David Eisenhower, nicknamed "Ike", was a General of the Army of the United States who served as the thirty-fourth President of the United States.
As President, he oversaw the cease-fire of the Korean War, worked to ease tensions of the Cold War, made nuclear weapons a higher defense priority, launched the Space Race, enlarged the Social Security program and began the Interstate Highway System. Eisenhower also oversaw the desegregation of schools and the Armed Forces.
- October 14, 1890: Dwight David Eisenhower was born
- 1944: Leads Allied forces in invasion of France on D-Day
- 1949: Became President of Columbia University
- 1953: Inaugurated to first term as President of the United States
- 1957: Inaugurated to second term as President of the United States
Check out the Presidents Gallery website featuring wax portraits of all 44 Presidents. President timeline and study guide available! Click Here