Meet one of America’s most popular presidents
William Jefferson "Bill" Clinton was the 42nd President of the United States.
He was the first Democratic candidate to be re-elected to a second term since Franklin D. Roosevelt. During Clinton’s presidential terms, the U.S. enjoyed more peace and economic success than at any other time in its history. Bill Clinton is also the second president to be impeached. The Senate later voted to acquit Clinton and he remained in office to complete his term. Even after his impeachment, Clinton remained popular with the public, ending his presidential career with a 65% approval rating.
Since leaving office, Clinton has been involved in public speaking and humanitarian work, including the creation of the William J. Clinton Foundation.
- August 19, 1946: William Jefferson Blythe III was born
- 1978: Elected Governor of Arkansas
- 1993: Inaugurated as 42nd President of the United States
- 1993: Signed the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993
- 2001: Launched the first official White House website
Check out the Presidents Gallery website featuring wax portraits of all 44 Presidents. President timeline and study guide available! Click Here