The Chamber of Horrors
Relive Madame Tussauds' Dark Past
PLEASE NOTE: SCREAM, our live action horror maze, will be closed from 7th September - 31st December 2015 (inclusive).
The legendary Chamber of Horrors has a 200 year history. Its roots can be traced back to Paris in 1783, when its forerunner, the Cavern of the Great Thieves, was founded by Madame Tussaud's mentor, Dr Philippe Curtius. On moving to Lnodon in 1802, Madame Tussaud herself brought some of the figures from the Cavern of the Great Thieves with her.
FACT: Today, the Chamber of Horrors still features the heads of figures cast from the original moulds of death masks from the French Revloution. Marie Tussaud was asked to prepare the death masks of executed nobles, including former friends from her time at court, and her one-time employers, the King and Queen, as a severe test of her loyalty to the revolution.